Thursday, October 14, 2010

Another view of les Invalides

Every day this week has been beautiful and sunny, and every day I have thought to myself, "What if this is the last nice day in Paris for the next six months?" and gotten anxious. So today I decided to take advantage of the glorious weather by walking from my phonétique class on boulevard Raspail all the way to the American church on the Quai d'Orsay. It took about an hour and a quarter, but I strolled at a very leisurely pace and stopped not once, but twice, for food on the way! First for a crepe and then, deciding that wasn't going to last me til dinner, a sandwich.My route took me up boulevard Montparnasse to the boulevard des Invalides. The above picture is my first view of Invalides from the south side (normally I see it when I emerge from the metro station north of it.) I know exactly one thing about this building: Napoleon's remains are interred here. That's it. I don't know what the function of this building used to be or what it is now. I guess one of these days I'll find out. There is something that looks like it used to be a moat surrounding it, though. I'm vaguely curious as to whether it actually was one. There's an odd garden outside the building. It is sort of like a maze, but not really, and there are these cone-shaped shrubs. This is where I sat and ate my sandwich. And my eclair. I guess I didn't mention the eclair at first, did I? (Don't be repulsed by my eating habits. I swear, I really am losing weight here).This evening is the first night I've been home at a reasonable hour all week, and I'm so happy. And I'm also happy because my homework for tonight was grammar exercises. This was exciting for two reasons: first, I really do love grammar exercises, and second, it took me 45 minutes to complete it instead of the usual 3 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment